Thursday, June 23, 2005

here's some coffee... for Sam....

I'm ashamed, it's been centuries since my last update, I know. I recently moved into an apartment with a horrific lack of internet access, I'm still working on that one but till then my updates will be few. For all of you who would like to harrass, insult, berate, or simply give me a public flogging, email me and I'll see what I can arrange.
Monday I trekked up to Norfolk, VA and caught Iron and Wine at the Norva. It would be pointless to tell you that the show was good because, c'mon, it's I&W.. that's to be expected. Sam played mostly newer songs but also some old favorites, if slightly revamped. I tried to give him a 1lb bag of whole bean coffee to show my appreciation(aka psychotic obsession) but, sadly, he never showed his face after his set, and alas, I was forced to pass it along via his merch guy.
What did suprise me that night was an excellent set by a new signing to Subpop(that seems to have snuck by me), Band of Horses. Besides the fact that one of their guitar players bears an uncanny resemblance to my dad 20 years ago, I was instantly intrigued when they hit the stage.
First of all, these guys just scream "kids you want to hang out with." They seemed like the friendly guys next door, slightly nervous but happy to be playing for friends. And the music... They started with a quiet, minimal song that introduced the singers outstanding vocalization style, mischievous and quirky at times, heart wrenching and epic at others. I wanted to say I heard an "Arcade Fire" tinge in the beginning, but they very quickly dispelled that notion with each new song. Afterwards, they all hung out at their merch table and I was able to chat with them for a few minutes, very friendly guys, would love to see them play again.
I was disappointed with only one thing, and that was the fact that I had spent all my cash at the local record shop before hearing them, I would have loved to own their Tour EP, especially with it being in such high demand and low quantities. I can only hold my breath and wait impatiently for their official Subpop release.. till then here are the only recordings I could find, for your listening pleasure.


Wicked Gil
I Lost My Dingle on the Red Line...
Funeral
Bass Song

And a here are a few I&W tracks to keep you happy till my next post:

Woman King
Naked as We Came
Jesus the Mexican Boy
Lions Mane
Southern Anthem

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that my favorite track on the Woman King EP is actually "Evening on the Ground."

3:51 PM

 
Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

nice blog. good taste

2:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read that Wine shipments must be made to a physical address (no P.O. boxes). Business address shipments are recommended over residential deliveries since deliveries must be signed and age/name verified. I saw this on wine basket is this true ?

3:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home