Wednesday, April 13, 2005

the sunshine glints off wedding rings and bullets.

Sickoakes

Sickoakes - "Wedding Rings and Bullets in the Same Golden Shrine"
Note to self.. do not listen to this track while studying.. WILL induce nearly comatose state of relaxation.
So there I was, studying like the diligent student I am when suddenly I was viciously hypnotized by this epic hunk of post-rock.. While it may not be terribly groundbreaking, it is quite enjoyable, especially if you are already a fan of artists such as Sigur Rós and Godspeed You Black Emperor!
One of the things that stood out to me, however, is the uncanny way they use horns. I haven't heard horns(saxophone, trombone, trumpet, xaphoon) help a song's mood like this since Kayo Dot's "Marathon," and believe me, its moody.
I was puzzled about the "one track album" thing till I saw that the track is 15 minutes long, it's well worth the listen. The song ebbs and flows like any decent instrumental post-rock song will, and yes, it crescendos to a climactic end.
Predictable? Yes. Will you care after listening? That's for you to find out. As for me, I found it quite comforting.

Wedding Rings and Bullets in the Same Golden Shrine

Official Website
www.sickoakes.tk






Seth Knappen


Former Darling frontman Scott Knappen has a knack for milking a simple melody for all it's worth. In "Sunshine," the mood is slightly wistful, especially at the line "good day, sunshine." This track wraps itself around you like a warm blanket, Scott draws every note out and uses pauses to his advantage, slowing the tempo ever so slightly and basking in the tension there. The emotion floating all through this tune is so thick I keep expecting him to start laughing, or crying, or both. Knappen has a beautiful voice that he knows how to use, he knows when to be strong and when to waver.. This is a very solid production, hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Sunshine

Buy His CD:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home